There seems to be some confusion as to why some people have no problems upgrading to a new e107version while others have a variety of problems.
There seems to be some confusion as to why some people have no problems upgrading to a new e107version while others have a variety of problems. The e107 Dev team does a fine job of creating and testing the code they create for a new version of e107. The Beta Testers take the testing further and when it seems that all bugs have been squashed, they release the version. Why then the wide range of results when members upgrade?
There can be several reasons, the chief among them is it is nearly impossible for the Dev team and Beta Testers to test for all combinations of hardware, software, plugins and themes. Other reasons can be, true bugs that somehow got missed, incomplete or corrupted file uploads, plugins or themes that are incompatible with the new version of e107 and changes made by or for the owner that were overwritten with the new code.
The folowing list can be a useful guideline when upgrading to a new version of e107 and after upgrading. It is not intended as a replacement to seeking help in the forums of e107.org or any of the other e107 helpsites that exist, but to ensure that easily missed settings or solutions are first checked.
Prior to upgrading:
1) Backup your database. Should something go seriously wrong after the upgrade the data will not be lost.
2) If applicable, Save a copy of any files that have been modified. You can use them as a guide modified any updated versions of those files.
1) Using the main administrator account go to admin - database and run any database updates found there.
2) Run Integrity Check. This will give you an indication of any files are missing or corrupted and need to be re-uploaded
3) Run database validity check. This will let you know if the database is ok, needs minor fixing or got hosed and you need to do a restore.
4) Check the settings for your site to see that none of them changed during the upgrade and also to make sure that if new settings have been added, they are set properly.
If you encounter problems with your site after you have performed the previous steps:
1) Try to narrow down each problem to plugin, display or core problem (news, forums, etc...)
2) If the problem is with one or more plugins, first see if an updated version of the plugin(s) compatible with the new version of e107 is available and if so upload the updated plugin and see if the problem is fixed. If you continue to have problems or there isn't an updated version available, try contacting the creator of the plugin.
3) If the problem is with how the site is displayed, the problem may be with the theme you are using. Try changing to one of the standard themes included with the e107 download such as e107 or e107v4a and see if the problem is fixed.
4) If the problem is with a core function or option (news, forums, etc..) Make sure that all the settings are correct and that the news, forum post still exist.
If you still have problems, post each problem in the appropriate forum giving as much detail about the problem as possible.
[Submitted by DigitalArtist]